Updated – 24th February 2021
After the Prime Minister’s statement on Monday 22nd February, we are now much clearer on how and when we can expect the current situation to change.
From now until Sunday 16th May, we will continue to offer a range of Virtual Wine Tastings to suit every level of knowledge from beginner through fine wine enthusiast to WSET professional courses. If demand for these events continues, we will of course continue to offer them into the future,
If you have a booking for an in-person event during this period, we will contact you directly to reschedule your booking for an event later in the year.
Starting Monday 17th May*,
In line with the U.K. Government Step 3, we will resume Covid-Secure in-person tastings at our central Shrewsbury venue, The Lion Hotel.
These events are already advertised on this website, please see the events list for details.
Read below for details of these events will operate.
Tasting Events During “Step 3” May 17th-June 20th*
During this period, we will be operating wine tasting events in a Covid-Secure method. In addition to extra steps to ensure the room is Covid-Secure the following restrictions will apply:
- Maximum Numbers – Because of social distancing, the total numbers on each event will be reduced by up to 50% (exact numbers will depend on the size of groups when booking).
- Rule of Six – This means that no group may sit together if the number is greater than six OR they come from more than two households. We will ensure that a minimum 2m space between all groups.
- Masks – You will be required to wear a mask at all times, except when you are seated in your socially distanced group for the tasting event. Your tutor will wear a mask at all times, except when presenting from the front of the room which will be socially distanced from you.
- Food – All food/snacks will be pre-plated for each group, sharing food/plates between groups is not allowed.
- Spittoons – We will not be providing spittoons, please ensure you have a designated driver or use public transport.
- Wine – The tutor will pour the wine for you whilst wearing a mask.
Starting Monday 21st June*,
Based upon what the Prime Minister has said for Step 4, we will be able to operate without any restrictions.
*All dates are in-line with U.K. Government statements, but are subject to change, which of course is outside our control.
The latest Government statement in summary form can be found here.
We hope that you will take the opportunity to start to enjoy the resumption of “normal life” and we have a full programme of events scheduled throughout the rest of the year, including our popular:
- Premium gin tastings
- Prosecco tastings
- Cheese or charcuterie and wine evenings
- All-day Saturday wine with lunch events
- 4-Week wine discovery courses
- Professional WSET courses
Let’s celebrate and enjoy life again!
As a small business we are extremely grateful for your continued understanding and support and I would like to personally thank everyone that has attended an online wine tasting during the period since March 2020. It's been a lot of fun and has helped Shropshire Wine School through this unprecedentedly difficult time. I’d like to think we have also helped people deal with the social isolation we have all felt and continued to give everyone some fun in their lives.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or by telephone on 01743 624041.
Owner, Shropshire Wine School