Updated - 5th February 2021
Following the latest announcement by the Government on Monday 4th January, we can confirm that all our face to face tasting events until the end of February, including WSET professional training have unfortunately been cancelled to comply with the "Lockdown" in England. We will of course honour any bookings already made and will transfer your booking to a future date. You will be contacted directly to discuss options.
In the meantime, we continue to run successful "virtual" wine tasting events which have proven to be very popular. These take place on Wednesdays and Fridays and we also have a whisky tasting event to mark Burns Night.
When the rules change we will be delighted to welcome you back to enjoy tasting events at the Lion Hotel, a covid-secure location that we have worked closely with to ensure your health and wellbeing, incorporating the latest Government regulations and advice.
What about the 'Rule of 6'?
The government's recent change to the law means you can still attend our events as a single person, a couple or a small group of 3-6 people but you cannot now attend as a party of more than 6. The rule doesn't mean you can't come into a venue if it already has more than 6 people inside and the government have since clarified this. Most people book our events as singles or couples anyway, but if you are coming with friends you would like to socialise with there is now an upper limit of 6.
Our Shrewsbury venue is the Lion Hotel and staff there are implementing all relevant safety measures. You will be required to complete “track and trace” information on arrival for all members of your party and will be required to follow the one-way system and wear a face covering when moving within the public areas of the hotel.
We also recommend you bring hand sanitiser with you, although this will also be available in the venue should you require it.
In addition, Shropshire Wine School:
- Has reduced maximum event numbers to 12 to ensure adequate social distancing (2m between groups)
- Will seat guests in groups based on their own households and any designated guests they may have (up to the maximum as laid down by the Government, currently 6)
- Is taking extra steps to ensure the glasses that you hold are clean and virus free; dishwasher cleaned and handled thereafter only with sanitised hands, all wines will be poured by your tutor whilst wearing a face covering and with sanitised hands – red wines in advance and white wines as required to ensure they are served at the correct temperature.
- Will require you to wear a face covering when moving around our venue, although you do not need to once seated in our wine tasting event room.
- Will not be providing Spittoons as there is an unacceptable risk of spreading infection, so please ensure you have a designated driver or use public transport/taxi
- Does not accept bookings "on the day" and all events are pre-booked. Therefore we have guest details for "track and trace" purposes
- Events all finish well before 10.00pm
A fully detailed method statement is available on request.
We thank you in advance for your coninued support in adhering to these measures during our events, with which we are confident you can continue to enjoy a great wine tasting event AND ensure your health and wellbeing. Please keep an eye on our list of events as this will be updated as we continue to add to our schedule. You can continue to buy gift vouchers with confidence as they are valid for 2 years from the date of purchase.
As a small business we are extremely grateful for your continued understanding and support and I would like to personally thank everyone that has attended an online wine tasting or bought a gift voucher during the period since March. It's been a lot of fun and has helped Shropshire Wine School through this unprecedentedly difficult time.
Our popular Online Wine Tastings are also still available and make a great alternative should travelling to our venue be problematic (no need for a designated driver either!). Check out Wine Wednesday and Fine Wine Friday events.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or by telephone on 01743 624041.
13th October 2020