8-Week World of Wine Course
Welcome to Shropshire Wine School World of Wine Course, one of the most popular courses in the network.
We are now taking bookings for our next course starting in February 2021.
Our 8-week World of Wine course is an informal and practical introduction to the world of wine for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn a little more about it and runs for 8 consecutive Saturday evenings. No previous experience is necessary and the emphasis is upon learning by tasting different varieties of wine.
It's also an opportunity to meet new people who share your love of wine.
- Taste over 50 wines from 5 continents, 15 regions and 15 grape varieties
- Retail prices of wines will be from £8 to over £20
- Includes food and wine matching advice
- Discover where to buy today’s best value for money wines
- Learn about common wine faults and how to spot them
- Serving and storage advice
- Discover what wines you like and where to buy them
This 8-week World of Wine Course makes a fantastic gift for anybody who enjoys wine but would line to learn a little more.
A course fee of £200 is payable when booking, This represents terrific value for money at just £25 per evening, saving £40 compared to booking event separately.
What if can’t make one of the evenings?
Not a problem. You can either send a substitute, pick up the missed session on the next World of Wine Course, or obtain a credit voucher valid for other Shropshire Wine School courses and tastings. Courses run throughout the year.
- Week 1: Course Introduction and a brief tour of European Wines to "set the scene" including a sparkling and a fortified wine, dry, sweet, white and red wines.
- Week 2: France - Six classic wines from six classic wine regions.
- Week 3: Italy + food & wine matching
- Week 4: Spain & Portugal + the importance of oak
- Week 5: An introduction to the wines of the "New World"
- Week 6: Australia & New Zealand + how wine is made
- Week 7: Chile & Argentina + storage & service of wine
- Week 8: South Africa & USA + wine faults and how to spot them
Tastings start at 7pm and last for approximately 2 hours, ending at 9pm.
Professional ISO tasting glasses, tasting sheets, course support materials, water biscuits and table water are provided at every session.
This course is held at the Lion Hotel, Shrewsbury a beautiful Grade 1 listed former coaching house hotel in the historic centre of Shrewsbury.