8 week World of Wine Introductory Course
Our 8-week World of Wine course is an informal and practical introduction to the world of wine for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn a little more about it. The course runs for 8 consecutive weekday evenings. No previous experience is necessary and the emphasis is upon learning by tasting different varieties of wine.
What will you get from this course?
- You will taste over 50 wines from 5 continents, 15 regions and 15 different grape varieties
- You will gain a good understanding of the worlds' major wine regions and the wine styles they produce
- You will be able to spit, swirl and sniff like a professional, be able to assess a wine and identify faults
- You will have a basic understanding of how wine is made, the importance of soils & climate and the influence of the winemaker on wine styles
- The confidence to try lots of new food and wine matches at home
- You will feel much more comfortable choosing wine and know where to go to find good value wines
- A whole new wine vocabulary, plus some new friends!
To help spread the cost of the course there is a £95 course fee payable upon booking plus an additional £10 in cash to be paid each evening to cover the cost of wines, water biscuits and other course support materials. This represents excellent value for money, just £21.88 a session, a discount of over 20% if you were to book the course as individual tastings.
What if can’t make one of the evenings?
Not a problem. You can either send a substitute, pick up the missed session on the next World of Wine Course, or obtain a credit voucher valid for other Shropshire Wine School courses and tastings. Courses run throughout the year.
Spring 2019 Course Programme and Dates:
Tastings run on 8 Wednesday evenings. They start at 7pm and last for approximately 2 hours, ending at 9pm
- 13th February: Australia & New Zealand - We start "down under" with some familiar wines and some not so familiar. We also introduce how to taste wine like a professional, no experience necessary.
- 20th February: South America, Chile & Argentina - we will explore the diversity of Chile and then hop over the Andes into Argentina to sample their flagship wine - Malbec. Then we will consider how to serve and store wine
- 27th February: USA & South Africa - we taste our way from California to Cape Town and then spend some time on how to identify common wine faults
- 6th March: Tour de France Stage 1 - we tour up the Loire and turn right into Burgundy, sampling famous wines such as Sancerre and Chablis.
- 13th March: Italy - Ahhh, Italy! The country that produces the most wine in the world! One night is nowhere near enough to do justice to this wonderful country's wines, but we will try our very best!
- 27th March: Spain & Portugal: Both countries are on the up! There is far more to Spain than Rioja, although of course we will be visiting that region famous for its oak-aged red wines.
- 3rd April: Tour de France Stage 2 - we explore two of the world's greatest wine regions, Bordeaux and the Rhône Valley and then we will explore the concept of 'terroir' through some carefully selected examples from the world's finest wine regions
- 10th April: Our course finalé: we enjoy some fine Champagne, Sparkling and Dessert wines from around the world and understand how these unique wines are made
Professional ISO tasting glasses, tasting sheets, course support materials, water biscuits and table water are provided at every session
This course is held at the Lion Hotel a wonderful former coaching house located in the centre of Shrewsbury.
Places remaining: 6
Course Date/Time: Wed 13th Feb 2019 at 7.00pm
Duration: 2 hours
Venue: The Lion Hotel, Shrewsbury