WSET Level 3 In Wines
The Level 3 Award in Wines is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain in-depth knowledge of wines and build upon the knowledge gained at Level 2. You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting, your blind tasting skills will form part of the examinations.
A crucial distinction between Level 3 and the lower levels of WSET Awards is the analytical tasting component to the exam. You will have to learn, and then demonstrate, the ability to critically assess the flavours in wine and be able to account for them using your knowledge of the key wines of the world.
This qualification has full accreditation from the OFQUAL as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification. This qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the Diploma Level 4.
Important Entry Information: We recommend this course to those who have already completed the WSET Level 2 Wines course, as this syllabus assumes that candidates already possess a good basic understanding of simple wine making techniques, key grape varieties and viticulture patterns.
However, holding WSET Level 2 is not a requirement to enrol on this course- for anyone who wishes to enter the WSET programme at Level 3 without prior study, we strongly advise them to review the course specification on the WSET website by Clicking Here. Please also feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the most appropriate course for your needs.
If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products.
This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
Not sure if this is the right level for you? Click here to view the Course Specification including sample exam questions
- Wine Tasting; Taste, describe and analyse wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching; A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Labelling; Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Wine Production; Learn about the production factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine from vineyard to bottling
- Light Wines; Learn about the styles of wines produced in the key wine regions and districts of the world: France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Greece, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, North and South America, England and Hungary
- Sparkling Wines; Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries: France, Spain, Italy, Germany, New World - Australia, California, New Zealand, South Africa
- Fortified Wines; Learn about the methods of production/main styles of fortified wines from the key wine countries: Spain, Portugal, France, Australia
Number of Wines Tasted; 55-60 wines will be tasted as part of the course
Study Materials for Students; will receive a Level 3 Advanced course study pack, consisting of the course book, study guide and SAT tasting card.
Our WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is run over 5 consecutive Sunday sessions running from 10.30am-5.30pm, including a lunch break.
In addition to the 30 hours of tutored tasting and lecture time it is recommended that all students complete a total of around 50 hours of private study, we recommend 7 hours preparation before each Sunday session.
Course Starts: Sunday 1st November 2020
Course Finishes: Sunday 6th December 2020
- Day 1. 10.30am-5.30pm Sessions 1,2,3 - Intro, tasting technique, natural and human factors with grape-growing & human factors with winemaking
- Day 2. 10.30am-5.30pm Sessions 4,5,6 - Whites wines: Germany, Alsace, Austria, Tokaji, Burgundy, Loire, Bordeaux + Red / rose wines: Bordeaux, SW France, Loire
- Day 3. 10.30am-5.30pm Sessions 7,8,9 - Red wines: Burgundy, Wines of Rhone, S France, Spain, Portugal, Northern Italy
- Day 4. 10.30am-5.30pm Sessions 10,11,12 - Central & S Italy, Portuguese reds, Premium New World reds and whites
- Day 5. 10.30am-5.30pm Sessions 13,14,15 - Regional new world wines, Sparkling Wines, Fortified Wines
- Day 6. 10.30am-2.00pm Exam Session
Recommended Private Study; 56 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done weekly in preparation for the tutored study session.
Examination; The Level 3 examination comprises of two parts: Part one will be a blind tasting of two wines. Part two will be a combined theory paper consisting of a 50 question multiple-choice section and a short written answer section (four questions at 25 marks each). A mark of 55% is required in each section to pass.
Certification; All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
Course Tutor: Gary Carter
Gary is a Certified WSET Educator, and has completed all the levels of the WSET programme including the WSET Diploma (Level 4) in 2019.
Please Note: the deadline for booking your place on this course is Friday 23rd October 2020 to ensure all students receive their study materials in advance of the start of the course, with time to familiarise themselves with the course specification. Anyone wishing to book any later than this deadline should contact the Wine School before booking to ensure that provision can be made.
Places remaining: 4
Course Date/Time: Sun 1st Nov 2020 at 10.30am
Duration: 5 x 6 Hours + Exam
Venue: Lion Hotel Shrewsbury