Fine Wines of Burgundy - Online
A real special treat for lovers of classic French wine as we tour one of the most famous wine producing areas of the world – Burgundy.
Over the course of six weeks we will sample six fantastic wines from across all the main sub regions of Burgundy, including Chablis, Gevrey Chambertin, Meursault and Pouilly Fuissé.
All wines are at a minimum of “village” or “commune” level and we’ve even thrown in a couple of Premier Cru wines as well.
Three classic white Burgundies made of course from Chardonnay and three classic red Burgundies made from Pinot Noir.
This is the first time Shropshire Wine School have presented 6 Burgundy wines in one event.
Over three weeks, Gary will talk you through these wines (2 per evening), explaining the subtle differences that come from the local terroir, wine making techniques and vintage variations.
Gary will be hosting an interactive Zoom online session for 1 hour (over 3 Friday evenings) limited to just 12 subscriptions to allow everyone to ask questions and participate in the session.
All YOU have to do is purchase a ticket from the Shropshire Wine School website by clicking the "BOOK" button below, as you would normally. A ticket entitles ALL members of your household to join in. There is no need to buy one ticket per person. Once your ticket purchased, you will receive a confirmation email with your ZOOM web link and password 2 days before the event itself.
We have teamed up with Frazier’s Wine Merchants and have negotiated a fantastic discount from them for supply the six wines (see below). Please allow one week for delivery. Note, you don't have to buy the wines to attend the online session that is entirely optional.
£60 for all three sessions. The cost is per subscription, so this could be for 2 people (or more) as long as you are sharing a screen in the same household.
£170.00 for six premium Burgundy wines (13% discount and free delivery). Available from Frazier's Wine Merchants. Click here.
Week 1 – Maconnais & Côte Chalonnaise – 28th August
- Pouilly-Fuissé AC Collovray Terrier Villes Vignes 2018. 100% Chardonnay vinified in oak for six to eight months (20% New Oak). The Vieilles Vignes (old vine) Pouilly Fuissé is a deep gold wine that has an intense brioche aroma with hints of stone fruits and flowers, and a restraint that hints at its minerality. It has a complex palate of green apples, with hints of citrus, creamy oak notes, and a mineral austerity that perseveres into an impressive finish.
- Givry AC Domaine de la Ferte 2015. 100% Pinot Noir aged in oak (20% new). Lovely garnet colour with purple hints. On the nose aromas of dark fruits (blackcurrant, blueberry) express with intensity. A lot of concentration with chocolate notes. The tannins are ripe and smooth.
Week 2 – Côte de Beaune – 4th September
- Meursault AC Domaine Philippe Chavy 2017. 100% Chardonnay aged in oak on the lees for 11 months. This comes from 4 different parcels, Moulin Landin planted in 1957, Pellans in 1945, Gruyaches in 1932 and Pelles in 1973, totalling around 1 ha. Harvest is done by hand and only the best fruit is picked, at optimum ripeness. Following a gentle press, every parcel is vinified separately in temperature-controlled tanks to preserve freshness, followed by 11 months in oak barrels with regular bâtonnage. The wine has a real freshness and definition; with fine, mineral acidity balancing the richness of the old vine fruit.
- Santenay AC 1er Cru Clos Rousseau Bachey Legros 2017. 100% Pinot Noir from old vines aged 100% in oak barrels with 30% of new for 12 to 15 months. This is a great wine from the Bachey-Legros 1er Cru vineyard, the nose is enticing, cherry-infused with pure and fresh red berries, these flavours are also found on the palate where hints of juicy ripe plum join the happy mix. Quite intense and firm on the finish.
Week 3 – Chablis & Côte de Nuits – 11th September
- Chablis AC 1er Cru Montmains Brocard 2018. 100% Chardonnay unoaked and aged on the lees. Delicious Chardonnay fruit with elegant structure and the steely finesse of Premier Cru Chablis. Fresh and lean, minerality, with citrus aromas. Dry, crisp, well balanced, vibrant fruit and a refined finish.
- Gevrey Chambertin AC Vieilles Vignes Domaine Rossignol Trapet 2014. 100% Pinot Noir aged in Oak for over 12 months. Fine pure cherry fruit. Succulent, scented and delicately long. Fresh, dry, fine-grained finish. An estate that has been run by the same family for several generations, Domaine Rossignol-Trapet is situated in the very heart of Burgundy, Gevery Chambertin, home of the prestigious grape variety Pinot Noir. Only natural methods have been used in the vineyards and during vinification.
Places remaining: 5
Course Date/Time: Fri 28th Aug 2020 at 7.30pm
Duration: 3 x 1 Hour
Venue: Zoom (Link Sent By Email)