Cheese & Wine Matching - Online
A new era is dawning for everyone involved in classrooms and events. Using modern technology, we can enjoy learning about our favourite wines (and gin) from the comfort and safety of our own homes. This has the added advantage that nobody needs to be the “designated driver”. Using Zoom video conferencing is just like being in the room with Gary, who will, as ever educate, inform and entertain you for about an hour.
All sessions will be recorded and if you can't attend at the last minute just let us know so you can go through the event at your convenience later.
Why not invite your friends to make it a truly social experience?
All YOU have to do is purchase a ticket from the Shropshire Wine School website by clicking the "BOOK" button below, as you would normally. A ticket entitles ALL members of your household to join in. There is no need to buy one ticket per person. Once your ticket purchased, you will receive a confirmation email with your ZOOM web link and password 2 days before the event itself.
Our two-week cheese and wine matching course will explore how the characteristics of the cheese, especially their acidity and saltiness can be complemented by different types of wine.
We will explore some “classic” combinations that have proved themselves over many years and also look at the more complex issues caused by strong hard cheese, especially when matched with tannic red wine. Remember British cheese was traditionally drunk with ale, not wine!
In week one we will look at the following combinations:
1. A real classic is French Chevre (goat’s cheese) with Sauvignon Blanc (especially from the Loire Valley)
2. Regional food and wine matching have always been important, and none more so than this combination of Tuscan Pecorino cheese with Chianti Classico.
For week two the combinations are
1. Another real classic is salty blue French Roquefort cheese with dessert (sweet) wine from Sauternes or similar.
2. Finally, we tackle British mature cheddar cheese, this is much trickier. Here we will match with a fruity Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile.
In this course you will discover how to use the characteristics of the cheese to help pick the ideal wine to match.
For this tasting you will need to pop out and buy (or buy online) four wines (and lots of lovely cheese) to compare. The four I will be uncorking are:
• Touraine Sauvignon AC Hauts Lieux Famille Bougrier 2018 (available from the Wine Society)
• Domaine de Leyrissat Monbazillac AC (available from Waitrose)
• Villa Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG (available from Majestic Wines)
• Errazuriz Max Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon (available from Waitrose)
However, as usual just try to obtain similar wines if you can’t find an exact match
This course is priced at £30. However, for just another £20 you can enjoy a further 3 weeks virtual wine tasting in July with our regional France wine tour. Book all five weeks together for just £50 – here.
Places remaining: 15
Course Date/Time: Wed 22nd Jul 2020 at 7.30pm
Duration: 2 x 1 Hour Sessions
Venue: Online - Zoom (Link Sent By Email)