World of Wine Course
Our flagship, 8-week World of Wine course is an informal and practical introduction to the world of wine for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn a little more about it. The course runs on 8 Friday evenings. No previous experience is necessary and the emphasis is upon learning by tasting different varieties of wine.
What will you get from this course?
- You will taste over 50 wines from 5 continents, 15 regions and 15 different grape varieties
- You will gain a good understanding of the worlds' major wine regions and the wine styles they produce
- You will be able to spit, swirl and sniff like a professional, be able to assess a wine and identify faults
- You will have a basic understanding of how wine is made, the importance of soils & climate and the influence of the winemaker on wine styles
- The confidence to try lots of new food and wine matches at home
- You will feel much more comfortable choosing wine and know where to go to find good value wines
- A whole new wine vocabulary, plus some new friends!
The course costs just £190, this includes all the wines, tasting notes, some nibbles to help the wines along and of course professional ISO tasting glasses. This represents excellent value for money, just £23.75 a session, a saving of £50 or over 20% if you were to book the course as individual tastings.
What if can’t make one of the evenings?
Not a problem. You can either send a substitute, pick up the missed session on the next World of Wine Course, or obtain a credit voucher valid for other Shropshire Wine School courses and tastings. Courses run throughout the year.
Autumn 2021 Course Programme and Dates:
Tastings run on 8 Friday evenings. They start at 7pm and last for approximately 2 hours, ending at 9pm
- 24th September: Introduction, focusing on European wines. Learn to taste wine like a professional, decipher confusing European wine labelling and taste six lovely wines.
- 1st October: The "Tour de France". With such a diverse and fascinating range of wines, one night is a tall order, but we visit all 6 classic regions from Alsace to Languedoc, stopping off in the Loire, Burgundy, Bordeaux and the Rhone Valley along the way.
- 8th October: Ahhh, Italy! - The country that produces the most wine in the world! One night is nowhere near enough to do justice to this wonderful country's wines, but we will try our very best!
- 15th October: Spain & Portugal - Both countries are on the up! There is far more to Spain than Rioja, although of course we will be visiting that region famous for its oak-aged red wines.
- 29th October: The New World. Let's now delve into the very different world of wines from the "New World" (outside Europe). Tonight we discuss the very different climates and approach to winemaking, plus sampling six lovely wines from the six countries we explore in more detail over the following three weeks.
- 5th November: Australia & New Zealand - We now head "down under" to sample some familiar wines and some not so familiar.
- 19th November: South America, Chile & Argentina - We will explore the diversity of Chile and then hop over the Andes into Argentina to sample their flagship wine - Malbec. Then we will consider how to serve and store wine
- 26th November: South Africa & USA - We taste our way from Cape Town to California and then spend some time on how to identify common wine faults
To explore the contents of every evening, simply click on the links above.
nb: Due to personal commitments, there are no events on 22nd October or 12th November.
Professional ISO tasting glasses, tasting sheets, course support materials, water biscuits and table water are provided at every session
This course is held at the Lion Hotel a wonderful former coaching house located in the centre of Shrewsbury.
Places remaining: 8
Course Date/Time: Fri 24th Sep 2021 at 7.00pm
Duration: 2 hours
Venue: The Lion Hotel, Shrewsbury